Why We Should Be Your Custom Home Builder for Green Building
Your Satisfaction is Our Primary Concern
Jon Tuthill Construction is a closely held company which allows us to keep complete control of all aspects of the construction process. We strive to make the building process enjoyable and persona for youl. Our highest concern is your satisfaction with our work. Our personal approach to building stresses constant communication between client and builder from start to finish. This is essential to deliver the best possible product to meet your individual needs and build lasting working relationships.
JTC uses customized software to meet our client’s individual needs. JTC has developed a very effective process for keeping you informed and involved in your project.
Out-of-town owners - Jon Tuthill Construction has constructed many homes for absentee owners and understands the difficulties involved. We have had owners who never visited the house until it was completed. Our unique management methods allow clients to stay up to date on the progress of their house from anywhere in the world. It also allows close communication between client and builder to make timely decisions on elements which require owner input.
We follow the principles of Building Biology (building science)
What is Building Biology? In a nutshell, it is the study of how buildings and people interact. Building Biologists have studied the relationship between the built environment and health and apply this knowledge to create healthy living and work spaces. We approach the building process as a science and understand the physics at work in a building- the way air, water and heat move through a structure and how it ultimately impacts the building's occupants. This understanding is critical to the construction of a well built, comfortable, and healthy building for you.
There are no better qualified builders in the Durango area for green and healthy building. If building green, environmental impact and healthier construction methods are of concern, you should talk to us. See our qualifications below:
- Building Biology Environmental Consultant (BBEC) pending
- Certified NEHA Healthy Homes Specialist (HHS)
- Certified Green Professional (CGP)
- EPA Lead-Safe Certified Business
- Licensed Realtor
- The Institute for Bau-Biologie® & Ecology
- National Environmental Health Association
- U.S. Green Building Council Member
- Green America Certified Business
- Energy Star Partner
- EPA Indoor airPLUS Partner
- National Association of Home Builders
- Colorado Association of Home Builders
- Home Builders Association of Southwest Colorado
- Durango Chamber of Commerce Member
- Better Business Bureau Accredited Member
Education and Experience
Jon Tuthill: University of New Mexico, B.S., Biology
10 years as a microbiologist and hospital epidemiologist
31 years experience as a custom home builder in La Plata county
Jonathan Tuthill: University of San Diego, B.A., Business Administration, Finance
5 years as a construction project manager
4 years as a snow and ice specialist
Additional Education and Seminars
- Completion of the EcoNest Intensive Natural Building Program, Ashland 2011
- North America Building Biology Conference, Tucson 2011
- Rocky Mountain Builder's Show, Beaver Creek 2010
- International Builder Show, Las Vegas, 2010
- SEIA Solar Power International Conference, San Diego 2009
- NAHB International Builder's Show, Orlando 2009
- Custom Builder Symposium, Austin 2008
Awards and Mentions
- Best Historical Renovation: City of Durango 2006
- Featured in Cowboys and Indians Magazine: Outdoor Spaces 2004
- Past President and Founding Member of the Home Builders Association of Southwest Colorado
- Chairman- Florida Mesa Planning Review Board
- Member of the La Plata County Board of Appeals
- Member of the La Plata County Fire Code Review and Compliance Commission
Jon is unique in the fact that he is able to utilize his biology degree, medical background and 31 years of building experience to work towards the improvement of occupant health and environmental well-being. Jon is a certified Healthy Homes Specialists (HHS) and is working towards his certification as a Building Biology Environmental Consultant (BBEC).
Jonathan has been working as a project manager for Jon Tuthill Construction for the past 6 years. His unique background in business and construction make him an invaluable part of the JTC team. Jonathan specializes in ice and water management - elements that are critical to the building process in our area. Jonathan is also a Certified Green Professional and keeps current on news and products relating to energy-efficiency and green building.